Sunday, September 1, 2019

With Your Help

Another boring post chronicling my slow to go fundraiser and time out of work.  It's now been over two months since I've worked or received a paycheck. Please feel free to check out my fundraiser page and the updates for more details. My medical saga began eleven years ago when I had a triple bypass and was diagnosed with atherosclerosis.

Now that I'm getting older the doctors are ordering more and more tests to let me continue to work. In 2016 I had a endarterectomy to clear my left carotid.

In 2018 I missed three months of work while a nuclear stress test and heart catheterization was done.  Why did it take so long?  First I schedule a appointment. Then the stress test is scheduled. After the test an appointment is scheduled to review the test. There's a week or more between each of those steps and then the process was repeated for the catheterization.



If the process of testing is slow then my attempt at fundraising is equally slow.  As a result I've put everything of value in the pawn shop to stay afloat.  The biggest hit was the motorcycle. If I get back to work I can save it. Until then I'm relying on public transportation.

'06 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan


I was hopeful that one of the #TwitterPhilanthropy veteran oriented groups might retweet my fundraiser. And Bill Pulte @pulte is absolutely swamped by people that need help.  And he's doing a wonderful thing.

The Veteran groups such as CodeofVets have been quite, too.  And there could be a reason.  While I received a honorable discharge there was a set of circumstances that required me to get out early.


Shortly after I enlisted my mother passed suddenly at forty-seven.  It was a terrible shock.


My father, a WWII veteran, took my mother's passing exceptionally hard. Dad began to drink more often and my younger brothers often had to look after themselves.  Dad had been seriously wounded during the war and most certainly suffered from PTSS.  As time passed the situation at home for my brothers became worse and my father wanted me to come home and help shore things up.  He contacted our senator and I was transferred to Ft. McPherson until I was discharged.  It wasn't what I wanted to do at the time but I have no regrets.  I don't know how that might look for anyone that wants to vet my service but it is what it is.  If that would be the cause for the veteran groups not supporting my fundraiser that's fine, they're doing fantastic work for a lot of veterans.


I would like to thank the incredible people of the Atlanta VA Medical Center.  They're always there for me and they are the greatest.


The GoFundme platform and those like it are a wonderful development on the internet. It is a positive in our sometimes troubled society.  In times of crisis people can quickly reach out to others in need and that's a good thing.

I sat down to write this so that I might better help people understand my situation.  I hope this may allay any doubts about my fundraiser.  If you want to help share my campaign on Twitter and Facebook.  You can donate as little as five dollars and even do so anonymously at my GoFundme page.

If you're adverse of the Gofundme platform you may contribute directly through my PayPal account.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone that has donated to and shared my story.  You're support is making the difference for a senior and veteran that will get back on his feet and go on to help others.

Thank you and God Bless 
Kirby



2 comments:

  1. I wish I could do more Kirby I hope more people see your campaign brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all you've done. I'm trying very hard to spread the awareness. I keep believing God will find a way.

    ReplyDelete